"I rest"
Here is your mourning jewelry fix for the week. This is a ca. 1700 mourning slide. The wearer would have thread a ribbon through the loops on the back and worn this as a bracelet or collar necklace. The materials here are hair, gold foil and enamel, all fitted under rock crystal. The skeleton, presumably of the deceased, is lounging on his/her coffin, which is engraved with the words "I rest." The imagery is stark, but the little angels soften it somehow. I appreciate how realistically the Victorians portrayed death with images. I mean, can you imagine going to a funeral now and seeing a skeleton image on the program? People would think it was in such bad taste. I actually find this piece - skeleton and all - very tender and comforting. What do you think?
Popular Post
-
REPLIKA EMBLEM BSA, GAZELLE TUA, JUNCKER, LOCOMOTIEF, HERO, HIMA, BATAVUS, GAZELLE, RAELIGH, HUMBER, BATAVUS LAMBANG SLEBOR BELAKANG, EDIEE ...
-
Alkisah, kaisar Chen Ming Hua dari China menghadiahkan peraduan yang terbuat dari batu Giok Serpentinit kepada Sultan Syarief Hidayatullah T...
-
Jerigen Besi SHELL Jadul Bahan : Plat Besi Kapasitas : 30 Liter Dimensi : 47 Cm X 35 Cm X 14 Cm Deskripsi : Jerigen Besi SHELL ...
-
FRAME HIMA POLISI Frame Hima Polisi, ukuran 22/55 Frame Hima Polisi ukuran 22/55, Mahar 230rb FRAME MARS GERAMNY Frame Mars Germany, ukuran ...
-
Pisau Carl Schlieper (Solingen-Germany) Eye Brand , atau terkadang juga disebut Germany Eye , diproduksi di Solingen, Germany oleh keluarga...
-
LAMPU MILLER BATOK KONDISI KROM MASIH BAGUS, 350RB LAMPU BATOK MULLARD, 300RB LAMPU BERKO MADE IN GERMANY LAMPU BERKO MADE IN GERMANY KACA O...

No comments:
Post a Comment