Mercury dime ring


Of the 60+ pieces of jewelry I purchased while I was in Iowa, this is the only one I am keeping for myself. I found it buried in a cigar box on a shelf behind the counter (yes, I asked if I could go behind the counter and dig around) at an antique shop. When I added it to my pile, the owner said "Oh you want that? That's an old dime ring!"

I had never heard of such a thing! It turns out that the ring is made from the Mercury dime, which was in circulation from 1916-1945. Also called the "winged Liberty head" dime, this particular coin is considered to be one of the most beautiful coins minted in the U.S. I would have to agree. I love that the band of the ring is made from the reeded coin edge, and also that the head of Liberty is cut in profile.

Coin image courtesy of mercurydime.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post