Crap

As we are moving, we are overwhelmed with the amount of crap we own. So, I'll take a time out to talk to you about some of the "crap" you may own.

Just kidding.

I'm going to take a time out to talk to you about the maintenance of your jewelry. In particular, answer some questions about prongs. I get a lot a of questions about how you know if your stone is secure. I found a picture diagram at work. This may help.


The dotted line is what the prong is supposed to look like. Be aware that many antique engagement rings are worn with a "non-fitted" band and could wear on your ring differently than a "fitted" wedding band. 

Also, if you have a larger center stone, say 2 carats or larger, you should probably get your prongs checked a little more often than smaller stones. The reason being, the prongs are "stretched out" more and is more taxing on your stone. 

Most jewelers do not charge to get your jewelry cleaned or stones checked, so go ahead and make sure your "crap" is maintained. 

In closing, I have two jewelry stories on this Saturday:

I found a quote by Athina Onassis, "the richest little girl in the world." Her mother died at a young age and jewelry was auctioned at Christie's. Athina didn't care much for her mother's old things. 

"Athina Onassis, the heiress once hailed as ‘the richest little girl in the world’, is on a move to auction off her millions of pounds of jewelry that she inherited from her mother Christina. The fortune worth is amounted at £1 billion but her call for auction is the result of her decision that she has no need of what she sees as the glittering paraphernalia of a departed era. "

Wow. It hurts to hear those words: "glittering paraphernalia of a departed era" but honestly, I am able to buy jewelry from those people who have no use for this "crap."

And as Andrew was packing at home today, I went out to get some pizza's for our packing, football watching, beer drinking, pizza eating - day. I turned on the radio and the preacher was on air saying the words that Jesus said, "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." 

Sure put things in perspective. The preacher stressed "treasures for yourself." It sounds selfish, but it's what we're called to do. I bet I can tell you more times that I've been selfish about the things of this life I'm living now. 

Those treasures, the treasures of heaven, are not crap. Those things are unimaginably wonderful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post